The stir fried black eyed peas with zucchini recipe is a simple and nutritious recipe that has vegetables and herbs along with spices which make these beans wholesome and tasty.
Black eyed peas/ Lobia is a rich source of protein and dietary fiber. These legumes are very effective in regulating cholesterol level in our body. Its low- glycemic – index and high soluble fiber makes it diabetic friendly. Therefore, it is a good way to keep our blood sugar under control. These beans are full of antioxidants i.e. vitamin A and vitamin C. Hence, consumption of these beans can eventually stop the growth of cancerous cells. It also contains lignin, which is a cluster of phytoestrogens that keeps away diseases like cancer, heart Attack, high BP and some bones related problems. Black eyed peas are good for stomach and ease the working of bowel also. These beans have low-fat content and are also low in calorie, which is very helpful in weight loss.
All these make black eyed peas super nutritious and help overweight/obese people to drop off extra kilos and get a desired physique.
- 2 table spoons oil
- 1 table spoon fresh mint
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 table spoon fresh coriander
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup boiled & drained Pusht Organic black eyed peas/lobia
- ½ cup zucchini
- 1/4 cup baby corn
- 1 tomato big
- 1/4 cup baked eggplant
Method of Preparation
- Wash the black eyed peas well and soak with fresh water for 4 hours.
- Once the black eyed peas are soaked well, cook until the beans are soft but not mashed.
- Once cooled, drain the excess water and keep the beans aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Put garlic, basil leaves and fresh mint leaves in oil. Stir it and add black eyed peas and zucchini to it.
- Sauté it well to coat with oil and herbs.
- Cook it with lid, for 5 minutes and stir it occasionally.
- Stir in baby corns and coriander leaves and cook until baby corns get tender.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and baked eggplant on top of the black eyed peas mixture.
- Let it steam for 1-2 minutes but don’t let them get overcooked or get mushy.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste and garnish with fresh herbs and cottage cheese.
- Serve hot.
Dr. Gurpreet KaurNutrition Expert
Ph.D M.Sc Food & Nutrition